Search This Site

Saturday, February 11, 2012

When Love Comes to Town; A Book Review


I recently was blessed to read and review a book published by InterVarsity Press entitled The Gospel of John: When Love Comes to Town by Dr. Paul Louis Metzger which is book is the debut piece for the Resonate Series. The book was released just over a year ago but Dr. Metzger has written a number of edifying materials throughout the last several years. I was introduced to him through his book Consuming Jesus; Beyond Race and Class Divisions in a Consumer Church and I have to say that it's one of the best books I've encountered in the last couple years. It was for that reason I had high expectations for this new book.

As most of you know, what you expect is rarely what you receive. The Gospel of John is not what I had anticipated for it was less of a social commentary with theological suggestions regarding social or ecclesiological change and more of a retelling or reimagining of the literal Gospel of John along with commentary. I'll be honest and confess that when I began reading the opening pages of this book I wasn't sold on the format and for an unexplainable reason I began to anticipate a tone and voice that wasn't going to keep my attention. It didn't take long for those walls to crumble under the force of a surprisingly refreshing and encouraging first chapter.

To be honest, there are some pretty corny quips throughout the book. I rolled my eyes with a chuckle a few times but not one of those rolls was void of an afterthought of thankfulness. Sure, some bits were hokey but they were also very helpful and full of beautiful truth. There are times when being corny is very appropriate and this book was full of those moments. Either you'll leave the corny bits with a cheerful heart or a pretentious heart. That's a fantastic dichotomy to face if you're as cynical as I can often be.

When I think about what this book feels like in it's reading I can't help but see myself walking hand and hand with a friend who seems to have actually known the Apostle John. If I didn't know I was in my airplane seat whilst reading chapter two I would have sworn I was on the road to Emmaus learning from a new, dear, and knowledgable friend. It's full of solid teaching while it's measured evenly with tenderness. The work is consistently relevant to the reader. The relevancy doesn't exist because it points to Justin Bieber or the latest hollywood scandal but because it brings the issues of the gospel back home to where the reader truly lives every single day. There is an emotional relevancy in these pages. It affects the reader's life. I guess you could say it resonates.

Perhaps the easiest thing to appreciate in this book is the constant, yet not redundant, invitation to draw closer to Jesus Christ through a personal and genuine relationship. With gentleness, sincerity, and a simplicity that can't be ignored, Dr. Metzger repeatedly invites the reader to live out what Jesus is asking of those who seek him. He constantly invites the reader to be a part of Jesus' kingdom, redemption, story, and love. The repetitive nature of the invitation is a good reminder that Jesus is always pursuing humanity, including me, and you. It's a reminder that we ought to be hospitable in our evangelism, being the type of kingdom citizens who bring people into the city of God where a feast awaits them and they are free to throw away their old and tattered garments so that they may wear robes we have for them. It's possible that this book will remind those of us who have forgotten that Jesus is true, that he truly loves us, and that we truly need him.

I often refrain from using the word 'real' as an adjective but this book is a strong reminder that the Gospel of Jesus is real. Through simple language, focused themes, helpfully organized sections, stories, and relatable teachings Dr. Metzger finds a way to bring conviction and the call to repentance to the front of the reader's heart. We'd all be surprised what we could do with a hard heart but reading this book unmoved may not be one of those things. The theology is sound. The exegesis is easy to follow. The Gospel of John remains intact. The questions about how the Bible connects to our lives in 2012 are answered. Whether your a stay at home parent who goes to church on Sundays, a teenage skeptic who hates Christians, a former church member who is now "just spiritual", or a full time seminary professor and pastor, this book will be a benefit to you. I'm relieved to have it on my shelf. I encourage you to not only put it on your shelf as well but to put your nose between it's pages.

Dr. Paul Louis Metzger is the Founder and Director of The Institute for the Theology of Culture: New Wine, New Wineskins as well as the Professor of Christian Theology and Theology of Culture at Multnomah Seminary in Portland Oregon. He is also the editor of the journal Cultural Encounters; A Journal for the Theology of Culture. He's authored several other works which are worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment