Search This Site

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

You Can't Do All Things Through Christ


In Philippians 4:13 the Apostle Paul states,

"I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

The final verse of this passage is often quoted as an encouragement to others. Indeed, it is an encouraging though. However, we too often use it in a way that communicates we can achieve all goals or make impossible things happen if only we trust in Jesus. This is not the message of this verse. The context (surrounding verses) give us the ability to understand the true message of Paul here.
Given the chapters and mere verses preceding these words we can conclude that this verse really means "I can endure all things." It means I can walk through all seasons of life. I can be content at all times. It doesn't mean I can do anything. I've tried to fly off my roof, walk on the top of a lake, move soda cans, communicate telepathically, etc. I've tried these things and I've even prayed that God would help me do them specifically because of this verse! But... As you can imagine, I fell off the roof, got soaked in the lake, went unnoticed in my friend's mind, and had to walk to the can of soda for it to touch my hand. 
When we follow Paul's thought we can't help but see what he means by this statement. He'e simply saying "I can live contently no matter what." It's like wedding vows. "I'll love you in sickness and health, rich or poor, etc." In all circumstances, I'll be consistent. In all circumstance I'll have a constant approach. For Paul, it's contentment. I'll be satisfied wherever God takes me, be it the heights or the depths. If I get flogged in a prison cell or if I eat grapes in the palace, I'll be content, satisfied, and thankful, because it's where God has placed me and he doesn't place us anywhere without just cause. 
Part of that contentment is knowing that the situation probably won't last. Be content because it will pass. Everything passes away. Trust God. What he's doing with you and what he has for you is always enough, if not more than enough. Because it is God who strengthens you, you're able to endure, be content, and find satisfaction in all seasons, places, things. Because we depend on Christ we are able to live this out. There is no other reason. Not because we have a positive attitude, give a lot to others, have amazing support systems of friends, or anything like that but because we put our trust in the God who is strong and uses our weakness. The God who raises the dead and has power over death is able to give whatever we need.

This attitude is seen in many martyrs of the Christian faith who were unafraid of their deaths but considered it a joy and worthy of rejoicing to share in the sufferings of Jesus. Their stories can inspire us to adopt this same attitude of Paul which exudes a faith and confidence in Christ's reigning power over death to the point of rejoicing in all seasons of life, be they good or bad. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes. This has always been one of my least favorite cherry-picked platitudes.

    ReplyDelete