Search This Site

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Music of My 2012

Last year I posted about the albums that helped me through a difficult year. 2012 has been remarkably different from 2011 but I can't help but want to share the art that has affected me this year. A lot of the music this year joined me in my triumphs and some has helped me through the pains. In no particular order these are the albums that have had a big impact on my past year.


The Heist by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis: This has perhaps been the most powerful album I've come across in a long time. The video for the song Wing$ was a brilliant attack against materialism. Macklemore is unafraid to rap about the things you aren't supposed to rap about in the hip-hop world. While I don't agree with everything he says or the way he says it, I respect his boldness, honesty, courage, and artistic integrity. This album makes me want to keep fighting against the evils I see in this world, to be a better Christian, and to get back on my feet when I fail at both. This album is worth buying and might be my favorite hip-hop album of all time (sorry Kanye).


Gravity by Lecrae: This is one of those albums that just continually brings me back to Christ. The music, flow, lyrics, etc. are all very impressive and the message is uncompromisingly evangelistic while not being corny. It makes me realize that I don't need to listen to albums like the one listed below because there are people in this world who make music I can enjoy and be edified by at the same time, without compromise. This album makes me want to be uncompromisingly bold. Admittedly, I've avoided Lecrae for a long time now due to so many Christians singing his praises and due to having poor experiences with "Christian" hip-hop. However, after hearing this album I immediately went and obtained 2 of his other albums and the albums of some guys in his cohort. 


Camp by Childish Gambino: A lot of people don't know that Troy from Community (on NBC) is also a hip-hop artist. Well, this is one of his newer albums and it's free along with all his music. He's vulgar but he might be making some of the best music in the U.S. right now and he's giving it away. Throughout the album he has lyrics discussing the issue of being black but not black enough for black culture while not being white enough for white culture. In many ways he doesn't fit in anywhere he finds himself. That was something that touched my heart. Like Kanye West, he's one of those artists that has some ugly words with beautiful sound and the muddiness of it intrigues me. Also, his music videos are super impressive. Once I got over the fact that this serious rap artist was the hilarious and goofy character on one of my favorite TV comedies I was able to really appreciate the album. However, I find myself unable to listen to much of the time these days due to the amount of vulgarity.


Some Nights by Fun.: This should be album of the year. Hands down, this is one of the most impressive albums I have encountered. I've loved Fun since before they existed because I adored the Format (who I was introduced to in my college years) and this is just a beautiful album. I didn't know I had been waiting for this album until I heard it. It's creative, dramatic, and unlike any other album I've ever listened to. It's full of passion and was an album I was able to yell out in the car. Before I had the words memorized it had me mesmerized.  It gave me something beautiful during some difficult times. I bonded to a deeper degree with a good friend over this album as well and in that regard it was a great service to me. 


Hymns I, II, III, IV, B-Sides, RE:Hymns Re-Imagined, Lullabies by Page CXVI: I lost a friend this year. It was incredibly sad and came at a rough time. As I drove home after hearing the news I listened to Hymns IV and wept like crazy as the truth of the words reminded me of God's beautiful and loving truths. When I wasn't listening to hip-hop in 2012 I was listening to these albums. The hymns kept me centered. When I need calming it is this music that gets me there. Page CXVI is inventive with the way they re-imagine the way to present classic hymns and I appreciate their artistic spirit and commitment to traditional songs that have been such a huge blessing through time. I will buy every album they ever make.


CTRL by Derek Webb: I didn't listen to this album as much as most of the ones listed above but it challenged me to rethink my relationship with technology in some pretty major ways. Actually, this album came out during a time in which I was seriously re-examining my relationship with technology so the timing was incredibly strange. I wasn't sure how I felt about the album at first but it grew on me because of it's impact. It made me think about my personal health and mortality. This album hit my introspective tendencies in a way Webb always does. It's also an album that brings calmness and relaxation for me but never ceases to leave me without worthwhile thoughts spinning through my mind first.

There was a lot of great music in my ears this year but these are the most frequently listened to albums and the ones my mind immediately thinks of when looking back at 2012. I hate to admit it but the honorable mention goes to the debut album by One Direction. I can't lie, it's incredibly catchy and has a youthful and fun spirit about it. Sure, it's shallow and silly but it's just too poppy to not love.

No comments:

Post a Comment