Search This Site

Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Gospel Coalition's Gagging Reflex


I was told this morning that The Gospel Coalition is once again under some attack for a blog they posted entitled The Importance of Your Gag Reflex When Discussing Homosexuality and “Gay Marriage” by Thabiti Anyabwile. I read the article and I had several thoughts but when I finished writing my reaction I discovered a better thought.

Anyabwile wrote, that Christians in the gay-marriage debate must “Return the discussion to sexual behavior in all its yuckiest gag-inducing truth.” In an attempt to show what Anyabwile calls the “yuck factor” he describes homosexual acts. He then states, “That sense of moral outrage you’re now likely feeling–either at the descriptions above or at me for writing them–that gut-wrenching, jaw-clenching, hand-over-your-mouth, ‘I feel dirty’ moral outrage is the gag reflex. It’s what you quietly felt when you read “two men deep kissing” in the second paragraph. Your moral sensibilities have been provoked–and rightly so. That reflex triggered by an accurate description of homosexual behavior will be the beginning of the recovery of moral sense and sensibility when it comes to the so-called ‘gay marriage’ debate.”

Here is what I think:

The idea that we will make progress in reestablishing moral sensibilities through the development of reactions of disgust towards certain sexual acts is misguided and shortsighted. People who are easily grossed-out aren’t bound to be morally upstanding people. They may be sensitive (possibly even hypersensitive) to sinful acts but that doesn’t make them necessarily upstanding or send them on the path towards being morally upstanding. Weren’t the Pharisee’s disgusted when they encountered Jesus breaking the Mosaic Law or when they found a woman committing adultery? What good did it do them? And in contrast, how good was it for the Pharisee’s and the sinners to encounter the person of Jesus?

What we need is not to see certain sexual acts as “yucky” but rather to see sinful people as similar to us. We must learn to see others as God sees them and created them. Ultimately, this begins with us seeing ourselves as sinful (and whether or not our sin is “yucky” or not is relative).

This means we embrace the knowledge that all humans, gay and straight alike, chaste and promiscuous alike, are created in the very image of God. It means we acknowledge that we are ourselves sinners in need of the Father, Son, and Spirit. We focus on the log in our own eye so that we may be of assistance to those who have specks in their eye (something done delicately). My sin is a bigger issue than someone else’s sin and my fight against sin is within myself.

Our focus must always be on loving people because that is the command Jesus gave us. He told us to give up our own sinful ways and to love others. He didn’t tell us we need to see sinful acts as more disgusting, create a morally sensible population, or to win political debates. His focus isn’t on those things. So why is ours? Jesus tells us that his kingdom is subversive. It does not flourish by winning political quarrels or by the establishment of laws that suit the opinions of his people. More often his kingdom is found in the suffering of his people. Maybe we see the kingdom more when we are busy being with people instead of being busy being against people.

If we will faithfully read the words of Jesus in the gospels, I guarantee that we will not be focused on convincing others that homosexual acts are disgusting so that we can recover “moral sense and sensibilities” and as a result win a political or moral debate about gay-marriage. Rather, we will be focused on following Jesus into his upside down kingdom as humble people who fight sin in their own hearts and honor others in a way that makes them see the beauty and goodness of God and his Way so that they desire to also follow him.

I’m not saying we don’t call sin out for what it is. I’m not saying homosexual acts aren’t sinful. Scripture teaches that they are indeed sinful. But that doesn’t mean I should fight to be disgusted by other people’s sin or fight for other’s to be disgusted by other people’s sin. It means I should avoid that sin in my own life and be unafraid to call it sin when necessary as I deeply love others, no matter what sins they commit. 

If I’m disgusted or not doesn’t matter. What matters is if I am pure and loving in Christ Jesus. So perhaps the better aim and strategy is to love God and to love neighbors as ourselves. This means we talk less about homosexuals and talk more with homosexuals, and not about their sexuality but about everything in love. Less debate, more life. Eventually our focus won’t even be about homosexuals but rather about people. Let’s face it, people don’t want to be labels and projects anyway. People want to be embraced as people through love.

5 comments:

  1. Hmm… well… “I’m not saying we don’t call sin out for what it is. I’m not saying homosexual acts aren’t sinful. Scripture teaches that they are indeed sinful.” So, what are you saying? Do you teach what Scripture teaches? Do you teach nothing? Do you teach not what Scripture teaches? Do you leave it up to someone to draw their own conclusions without taking a position and set them up for sin or continued sin? After all, in many denominations and non-denominational churches today there is the acceptance of sex outside of marriage, homosexual lifestyles, and serial marriage/remarriage after divorce. In the case of sexual sin, as I recall… Jesus was very clear, direct, and confrontational.

    I would suggest, if you have never done it, that you consider a Biblical study of marriages/relationships which are presented in the Bible. There’s really a lot of material there. There are roughly 25 relationships and it’s amazing how little most people really know about the relationship lives of the great Biblical figures. Just an idea.

    Lastly, the Bible presents a lot of information about Christian living, especially in the New Testament. What would you say is God’s preferred lifestyle for His people today? Married? Single? Polygamous? Monogamous? Whatever one feels is right for themselves irrelevant of what the Bible teaches? It doesn’t matter? It’s all good?

    A few thoughts and prayers… Kirk

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you getting at, Kirk? All Travis was trying to say is that something being gross doesn't make it wrong, and people who use the grossness of the acts as a way to turn people from homosexuality are just stirring up hate and fear against gays. As he points out, Christians are called to love everyone, even those that are considered "unclean" by the church. He obviously believes that homosexuality is sinful and is calling it out as such, but he's unwilling to hate people he doesn't understand or who's lifestyle choices he disagrees with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm… I learn by asking questions. It is in no way “obvious” to me that, “He (Travis) obviously believes that homosexuality is sinful and is calling it out as such.” He knows, “Scripture teaches that they (homosexual acts) are indeed sinful.” However, knowing what Scripture states isn’t necessarily believing, agreeing with, following, obeying, teaching, or instructing others. I know many people who know what Scripture states on a wide variety of topics and issues, however, they ignore or dismiss that which they feel uncomfortable with or don’t like. Therefore, I asked (Travis) questions about what he would do. It’s how I learn.

      Delete
    2. For future reference Kirk, if I write it then I probably believe it (I try to be clear about that on my blog). When I say "scripture says X" I'm affirming the scripture as something I find to be true. If I appear to be supporting the scripture I am referencing or if I am claiming that it says what it says then I would say it is safe to assume I believe, agree with, seek to obey, follow, and teach that truth.

      Delete
  3. He(Kirk)is obviously getting at the point that this articles sounds much more like "love everyone man" than Christianity as the Bible defines it. Perhaps he (and I) misunderstood, but it certainly sounds like it doesn't fit in with the Christianity the Bible calls us to, but more of the complacent tripe that has been fed to us by liberal minded academics and has been injected into true Christianity. Basically just love, no fighting. Love must be balanced with condemnation of sin and the responsibility of standing up for that.

    ReplyDelete