Search This Site

Monday, February 28, 2011

Anti-American


I receive all sorts of labels from people for my beliefs. It doesn't surprise me. I know I'm not alone in this when I hear Derek Webb sing, "Oh my darlin', you must be a moving target just like me. They call you right, they call you left. They call you names of all your friends." One label that I receive from time to time is "anti-American." Again, it's not a surprising name to be called when I make the proclamations that I do. Even though nobody has ever outright explained their reasoning for labeling me as anti-America I have a good idea which of my beliefs and practices they probably have in mind.

I preach that Christians are aliens and foreigners on earth no matter where they live. I say that Christians have one true allegiance and it is to Christ and his kingdom and as a result Christians don't owe an allegiance to any nation. I find running for many political offices as problematic for Christians. I am weary of celebrating holidays that put one people group above another or glorify a nation I'm not rightly bound to. I don't say the pledge of allegiance or follow the flag code during the national anthem. I don't support militarism or violent endeavors that are carried out by the military. I say President's commit nationalistic idolatry when they use scriptures that point to Jesus but change the wording to glorify America. I question the placement of the U.S. flag in churches. I question the benefits for the church when it comes to freedom of religion. The list goes on.

At first glance, the patriotic American may see that as anti-American. I can understand that. But I hope those folks can give me the benefit of the doubt and hear me out. I'm not anti-America. I'm just not wrapped up in America. When I say that I mean to communicate that I don't hold the U.S. above any other nation in my heart. I don't allow myself to consider the U.S. as my home since I belong to the kingdom of God. I'm not against America (you won't see me waging war against her), I'm just too concerned with the kingdom of heaven to give my allegiance to something as fleeting as the United States of America. I acknowledge that nations are nothing before God according to scripture and don't make them out to be more than they truly are.

I'm thankful for a lot of the things that make up the identity of the United States. I am thankful for democracy. I am thankful for a voiced commitment to uphold life and liberty. There is great emphasis on education and the welfare of the people. That is worth my thankfulness! The resources to improve life for the downtrodden in the U.S. are vast! I find the land beautiful. I find a lot of blessings in the U.S. and I don't take them for granted. At the same time, if I didn't have them I know that life would go on (and even if it didn't that'd be okay). Life is easier here in many ways than in other places and I accept that is both a good and bad thing. Every nation has positives and negatives.

At the end of the day I acknowledge the fleeting nature of the U.S. and what it is before God. I recognize where my true citizenship is found and hold the values of the kingdom of God above those of the nation I live in. If the two kingdoms are in line then I happen to be patriotic and if they are butting heads then I'm probably looking unpatriotic. I'm happy to be in a place that offers the blessings the U.S. offers but I'm not willing to go against kingdom customs to keep them since I know my time in association with the nation is hardly a blip on the radar of eternity. I'm not head over heels with the United States but I'm certainly not against her. I know her and I appreciate her but I won't go to bed with her. If that is anti-American then I suppose the labelers are correct about me but I'm more inclined to only care about one label and that is "Christian." Whatever comes as a result I'll accept with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment