Search This Site

Monday, February 14, 2011

St. Valentine & True Love


I found the following at Commonprayer.net

Valentine of Rome (d. 269)

A Christian priest in Rome, Valentine was known for assisting Christians persecuted under Claudius II. After being caught marrying Christian -couples and helping Christians escape the persecution, Valentine was arrested and imprisoned. Although Emperor Claudius originally liked Valentine, he was condemned to death when he tried to convert the emperor. Valentine was beaten with stones, clubbed, and, finally, beheaded on February 14, 269. In the year 496, February 14 was named as a day of celebration in Valentine’s honor. He has since become the patron saint of engaged -couples, beekeepers, happy marriages, lovers, travelers, young -people, and greetings.

I jump at an opportunity to celebrate a martyr. As a nearly unpersecuted Christian living in the United States I find it extremely important for believers to keep the sufferings of our brothers and sisters before us. We can not forget that love requires suffering on this earth. The love that we see in Christ and those who love him can not be separated from suffering. In every aspect of our lives we must take up our cross and follow Jesus. It's easy to dismiss the unpleasant side of love and how it affects the world but we mustn't shy away from it. We must embrace it. The greatest loves are the hardest loves. The deepest love requires the most effort, the most selflessness.

This Valentines day, as we celebrate love let us not forget the siblings of faith who celebrated love so fiercely that they died for it. Their deaths were the evidence of their love just as Christ's death was the evidence of God's love. So men, love your ladies like Christ loves the Church, by giving up your life for her. Die for her. Ladies, put your man before yourself and give him all you've got. Let us all embrace self-sacrifice and the type of love that looses the self and embraces the people standing in front of us. This is something we can all do whether single, involved, engaged, married, celebrate, divorced, widowed, or whatever else we may be. Let us love one another today, tomorrow, and every day. May you find and give more than greeting cards, candy, or shiny things today to those around you. May you give them your life. May you know true love.

2 comments:

  1. Ever since my husband got me divorced for the past 2 years, i v'e not been my self. I was reviewing some post of how i could get back my husband then, i saw a testimony shared by Marina Choas about a spell caster named Dr. PADMAN I contacted Marina Chaos to confirm about how Dr. PADMAN helped her and she clarified everything to me of how he helped her and that gave me the courage to get in touch with Dr. PADMAN for help. Dr. PADMAN assured me that my days of sorrows will be over within 48hours after he has finished with his work. I followed his instructions he gave to me because i had the believe, faith, hope and trust in him. Verily i say to you today that i and my husband are back together and i can proudly say and testify to the world of what Dr. PADMAN did for me. Contact him today via Website: https://padmanspell.com/index-3.html E-mail:(padmanlovespell@yahoo.com) OR call him or whatsapp him +19492293867

    ReplyDelete