Search This Site

Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Common Prayer & Calendar


A lot of Christians that I know neglect the blessings known as the Book of Common Prayer and Christian calendar. Noticing this, a few well-known folks associated with the "new monastic" movement have come together and formed a book and website for the average [evangelical] Christian. The website provides prayer material for every day of the year.

Each day's material consists of responsive prayer, scripture, song, quotes from historic siblings of faith, and personal prayers. I've been accessing this site daily as of late and it has been a real blessing. The site also provides prayers for different times of the day. One feature of the website that I like is the 12 month Christian calendar. Catholics know about the Christian calendar but many protestants don't. It's a shame.

I'm sad to say that I've yet to be a part of a congregation that embraces a unique Christian calendar that intentionally (because they all celebrate the major Christian holidays) works on a timeline based off scripture and Christian tradition instead of the land they live in. I've yet to be a part of a church that celebrates the days attributed to certain martyrs/saints (though no congregation has ignored the witnesses of the past).

Along with that, I've yet to be a part of a church that uses a calendar that incorporates their personal victories that are unique to the congregation. I've also never been a part of a congregation that has developed their own book of common prayer/worship that includes songs, prayers, and quotes written or collected by the members of the congregation.

I have been lazier than I'd like. I want to be a part of developing a book of worship/prayer for a congregation as well as a calendar. I see amazing potential for these types of tools, especially in the way of unity.

No comments:

Post a Comment