Search This Site

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I Don't Support Soldiers?


A Christian sister on twitter (who I am familiar with through blogging) accused me of not supporting soldiers and implied that I'm part of the reason so many war veterans attempt suicide. Earlier in the day she had called me anti-American.

Now, I'm use to slander; I get called all sorts of things for not supporting war, violence, or hate. I've been called anti-American, a communist, pussy, coward, god-hater, you name it. I rarely fight these sorts of labels because I've learned that it is a waste of my time. My actions and words are evidence of who I am and nobody who knows me would honestly call me any of those things (as far as I know). However, this accusation is one that I feel I should address since it is an easy claim to make.

It's true that I do not support the violence of the U.S. military and the "wars" that the U.S. have started or engaged in. I won't deny that. One reason for my rebuke of such violence is because I deeply value human life. I believe all people are created in the image of the Creator God and that I am to love those people. I believe part of loving someone is looking out for their well being (mentally, physically, emotionally) and bringing them as close to God as possible.

By standing against the violence of the U.S. wars I support the soldiers of the U.S. and the nation's enemy soldiers because I am expressing my desire for no one to be injured or killed. It is partially for the sake of the soldiers that I fight against war. Not only can soldiers be killed (and their families hurt as a result) but soldiers can sustain many terrible injuries that affect their mental, emotional, and physical well-being. I support these men and women warriors by supporting them not merely as citizens of a particular nation or members of a certain profession but on a deeper level of human beings. It is for this same reason I denounce abortion, the death penalty, and torture. Again, I value human life.

I deeply respect people for doing what they believe is right, even if I think it is wrong. All anyone can do is take the information they have been given and do their best with it. I respect people who do. Many of those people are soldiers. I also respect people who want to stand up for what they believe in, protect others, risk their lives for the sake of others, and take the hard road. Soldiers do those things and I highly value them for it.

Yes, I believe their willingness to kill is unloving towards enemies and a direct disobedience to the commands of Christ but that does not mean I do not support them as human beings. I simply don't support certain actions and attitudes they've seized. I've written a blog about how nonviolent folks can admire military persons and I'm an advocate for reform in the way of conscientious objection so that people may engage in international and political conflict resolution with less damage. In fact, it is my advocacy for reform that inspired the slanders.

I'm also an advocate for the Church being a community of people who provide healing for veterans. I desire to see people return from battle and be able to return to society as healthy citizens. There are too many stories of soldiers coming home only to kill others or themselves. The Church is the best resource for these war-torn men and women. If war is hell and the Church has the kingdom of God then it only makes sense for Christians to lay hold of these warriors and love them into healthy living (should they need it). Here is a prayer I recently came across thanks to Project29 I really enjoyed.

Lord, surround those with trauma from wars past and present with your abiding love and peace. Give new vision to those who only see the blood and destruction of war every time they close their eyes. Give understanding and patience to those who love those who have partaken in war who remain traumatized by all they were witness to. And give your hope for a new day to those who want it all to end today. Amen.

I have a friend named Marshall. We went to college (Mid-America Christian University) together and he's one of my closest brothers. I love him deeply. He joined the U.S. Marines this year. He and I both know that there is tension between us because of his pursuit. But we also both know we deeply love one another. There is no question in his mind of my support for him. He calls me and e-mails me often to talk about his marriage and his military experience. We have fantastic conversations in which we challenge and encourage one another.

He knows that even if he returns from war with 100 kills under his belt I'll love him and support him and seek to build him up. He knows I won't ever be proud of his killings or thank him for them but he knows I won't dehumanize him or condemn him. I don't treat Marshall any differently than any other soldier I meet. I also respect and love my Father and Grandfather who both fought for the U.S. in past wars. I'm glad they did what they believed to be the best thing. I'm not incredibly wise but I'm wise enough to think that I can support human beings even if I do not support all the things they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment