Search This Site

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Unexpected Statements About Nonviolence


I write about nonviolence a lot. I took a 6 month break from it recently and have returned unexpectedly. I thought it would be fun for me to share a few things that most of my readers may not expect to hear from me on the subject of nonviolence - even if I am stated them or implied them previously - so that they know where I'm coming from a little better.

1. I don't believe nonviolence is commanded in scripture. Search for the word nonviolent and you'll find nothing. Nonviolence is one of those ideologies that I believe can not be avoided if we take Jesus' teachings and example seriously. I believe we end up at nonviolence when we sincerely and fully embrace the type of love for enemies that is put forth in the New Testament.

2. There are aspects of the nonviolent lifestyle that I hate. I hate the idea that I can't take matters into my own hands. I hate that I have to trust God and give into the mystery of love. It'd be much easier if I could just use my anger against someone in the ways that I see fit. I hate the struggle of wondering "How do I defend others with nonviolent means?" It's taxing to work it out in my head and heart.

3. I do not advocate nonviolence because I think it sounds like a good idea or because I think it "works." I advocate nonviolence because I have been unable to argue against it when I look at the witness of scripture and the faithful church through time. When the concept of nonviolence was first put before me I battled against it tooth and nail. It won (well, the God of love who died on a cross for me won). It (He) is still winning. I'm still battling.

4. Nonviolence is not the most efficient way to keep the most people alive possible. It will definitely fail to do that a lot of the time. It's not ineffective to keep people alive but it absolutely is no guarantee to keep the most people alive possible. Then again, no strategy can accomplish keeping everyone alive.

5. Nonviolence is dangerous because those who do not understand it but try to embrace it may fall into the terrible evil of being passive and cowardly. As Gandhi believed, it is better for someone to be violent than a coward.

6. Being nonviolent is not to be a top priority. I mean, I am concerned with that but it's a secondary concern. I'm far more concerned with imitating Christ and living out His love in a sinful world. I don't see how violence can fit into communicating the love of Christ with our lives and thus I seek out loving means conflict resolution, which seem to always be nonviolent. Does this mean I accept there may be room for violence at times? Yes, if God directly commands violence to be done by His people (but that doesn't exist in the New Testament so odds of it happening are more than slim).

No comments:

Post a Comment